Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hey, Daddy-o Ralph Covert!

Ralph Covert of Ralph's World is the rockin'-est daddy-o!
What's he doing this Father's Day? Let's see...


1) HOW MANY KIDS DO YOU HAVE AND WHAT ARE THEIR AGES?
I have a daughter Fiona (13) and my girlfriend has two daughters, Abby and Jayme (9 and 11).
2) WHAT'S THE BEST THING ABOUT BEING A DAD?
Being inspired by the kids' constant sense of wonder.

3) HOW DOES BEING A FATHER AFFECT YOUR MUSIC?
I've co-written two Ralph's World songs with my daughter Fiona- including the title cut to "Happy Lemons" and I help her with her own music now that she's a teenager. It has also recently inspired a song that's on my new album, The Rhyming Circus. Abby had been struggling with her letters and sounds, her mom asked if I would write a song to help her learn them. In fact, Abby was eventually diagnosed with dyslexia. Apparently one in every five children have some degree of dyslexia. Now that she's getting specific help, she's reading better every day! And she got her own song out of it, too: "Abby's Alphabet Soup"! But in general, it re-fuels my sense of childlike wonder.

4) WHAT WAS YOUR BEST OR WORST FATHER'S DAY GIFT?
Fiona once sent me a Father's Day card that was very simple and from the heart and that meant a lot to me.

5) HOW WILL YOU BE SPENDING THIS FATHER'S DAY?
I will be performing in Alexandria, Virginia, at a benefit to raise money for the Red Cross.

6) DO YOU HAVE ANY WORDS OF WISDOM FOR OTHER DADS?
Let your children bring out the kid in you.

7) HE WANTS TO KNOW IF YOUR KIDS THINK YOU ARE COOL OR GOOFY.
One the funny things about being a rock' n' roller and a father is that no matter how cool your job is ultimately it's just "that's Dad's work" and it's not that interesting. Happy Father's Day!

Thanks, Ralph!
Happy Father's Day!
Ralph's World

2 comments:

GBK Gwyneth said...

Hey Yosi -- these are some super fun interviews you've done in honor of Father's Day!! Love it!

Yosi said...

Thanks, Gwyneth!
More cool & goofy Daddy-o interviews coming up.

Best,
Yosi & The Superdads